I’ve put together the most frequently asked questions about guided walking trips and bookings with me here. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you cannot find the answer to you question.
How fit do I need to be?
This depends on the walk that you would like to do and I am happy to discuss this and your previous experience when you book. If it is a private day then we can go as steadily as required as the day is all about you and if you’re really unsure then we can plan a really flexible mountain day where we can extend or shorten our route to suit you.
What to bring with you?
- Food: A good packed lunch with plenty of sandwiches; chewy bars; chocolate and fruit; emergency rations
- Drink: a bottle of water or juice and a hot flask or tea or soup (especially in winter)
- Clothing: wicking base layer not cotton; walking trousers or track suit not jeans; fleece or warm jumper; water proof jacket and trousers; hat and gloves; spare fleece or jumper
- Equipment: rucksack to put everything in at least 25 litres; rucksack liner to keep everything dry; survival bag or blanket; personal first aid kit including any medication you normally take and blister plasters; emergency whistle and head torch; sunglasses and sun hat
- Footwear: sturdy boots or shoes preferably 3 or 4 season
- Winter: must be 4 season boots; warmer clothing recommended; bigger rucksack needed for extra kit 35 litres minimum; extra hat and gloves; ski goggles, ice axe and crampons
- Backpacking: lightweight tent; sleeping bag; sleeping mat; camping stove; mug and spoon; travel towel; change of base layers; food and drinks for duration of trip; large rucksack 50 litres minimum
How much does it cost?
- 1 person @ £160 per day
- 2 people @ £180 per day
- 3 people @ £200 per day
- 4 people @ £220 per day
- 5 people @ £240 per day
- 6 people @ £260 per day
- Larger groups please contact me to discuss
Bike & hike, winter walking and winter skills trips often require the need to hire equipment. For bike & hike a good quality mountain bike is recommended as the tracks and trails can be rough. In winter you need good 4 season walking boots, ice axe and crampons plus a helmet for winter skills. I can provide ice axe, crampons and a helmet at the cost of £10 per day.
If you need winter boots, a mountain bike or you are a group then it’s worth hiring a package from an outdoor shop. Below are some recommendations all with a base in Aviemore.
- Tiso: ice axe, crampons, winter boots, & helmets
- Braemar Mountain Sports: ice axe, crampons, winter boots, helmets & mountain bikes (Braemar only)
- Bothy Bikes: mountain bike hire in Aviemore
Cancellations & Refunds
In the event that we cannot go ahead with your booked walk due to weather conditions and it is my decision then I will offer you an alternative walk if suitable, other dates or a full refund. If you cancel the booking and it is less than 48 hours before we are due to set off then there will be no refunds. However if it is a week before then you will be refunded in full except if it is a multi-day activity over three days where the deposits are not refundable.
Due to the nature of mountaineering and hill walking I would recommend that you take out suitable personal travel insurance that covers adventurous activities. I am fully insured for all the activities that I provide as a small business including public liability.
If there are any questions you still have or you would like to discuss equipment or clothing needs before a trip then please just get in touch and I will be happy to help!